Video Interview Tips
Video interviews via Skype and FaceTime are becoming the norm for many companies undertaking initial interviews.
Here is a quick checklist to ensure you are fully prepared - don't forget, this is potentially the first time you will be able to really show who you are and why you will make a great employee!!
1. Test audio and camera.
2. Elevate your laptop to avoid staring down into the camera.
3. Dress professionally.
4. Position yourself at a table, against a plain, neutral background.
5. Check the lighting in the room.
6. Close all other applications on your laptop.
7. Silence your mobile / office / house and disable vibration.
8. Have a copy of your resume at hand.
9. Attach post-its around the laptop screen with prompts + questions you wish to ask the interviewer.
10. Exclude kids, pets etc from the room for the duration of the interview.
11. Have pen and paper at hand.
12. Have a glass of water next to you.
13. Have the phone number of the interviewer in case video connection is lost.
You have fully researched the company in depth.
You know who your interviewer is.
You have practiced behavioural questions using C.A.R.L (Context, Action, Result, Learning).
And you will send a “thank you” email within 6-8 hours of the interview. You have great skills and experience, so demonstrate them by speaking into the camera, NOT into the screen, with a nice smile!